Importance of disease prevention
Disease prevention is one of the most substantial area of health-conscious lifestyle. With proper nutrition and regular exercise, emergence of chronic diseases has a lower chance. By living the modern lifestyle, however, it is sometimes challenging to pay attention to ourselves, which generates mental pressure and can lead to a vicious circle further increasing the stress level of the body.
On the top of that, until there are no physical symptoms (it does not hurt), many people don’t even feel the need to take care of their health, since they feel their body is strong enough to cope with diseases. Yet, following health-conscious habits is rewarding, as according to the scientific observations, one can earn years or even decades by being self-aware – regarding either to the active years or to the lifespan.
By living a health-conscious lifestyle, risk of the following chronic diseases can be decreased:
- joint problems: inflammations, gout;
- atherosclerosis and other cardiovascular diseases;
- vascular dementia (dementia due to the partial disruption of brain blood supply);
- high blood pressure (hypertension);
- type II diabetes and its complications (vision impairment, vasoconstriction, ulcers);
- Alzheimer’s disease (cognitive decline due to nerve cell destruction);
- Parkinson’s disease (movement disorder due to nerve cell destruction);
- liver failure, fatty liver;
- kidney stone related diseases, other kidney impairments;
- tumors, cancer.
Disease prevention is substantial not only in the case of chronic diseases, since seasonal influenza or the common cold can attack us also, and mostly at the worst time, thus keeping our immune system strong is also of paramount importance. This is particularly true, when environmental pollutants (e.g. air pollution, contaminated food and drinking water) weaken our immune system. Several medicinal mushrooms possess immunomodulatory effects, which means that they are capable of keeping certain elements of our immune system in readiness, promoting the faster reaction of the body to an infection.
The fast reaction against the pathogens is decreasing the risk of later complications as well. Formation of immune cells and regeneration of the body are strongly associated to stem cells, especially to stem cells from the bone marrow, therefore stem cells play an indisputable role in disease prevention. Not least, plant antioxidants – vitamins, flavonoids – are also supporting the normal functions of the immune system and the body, since when deficient, weakening and aging processes of the body are accelerated.